Have you ever seen an elephant without a trunk? I recently saw this article about a baby elephant that was spotted with just that issue. See video and article here: https://nypost.com/2018/09/07/baby-elephant-without-a-trunk-sparks-concerns-over-its-survival/ This is an elephant’s most vital tool for survival. It uses it to smell, eat, fight off predators, and basically survive.
It made me realize, this is how we are when we try to live life without Jesus- (our most vital tool for survival). We need Jesus to help us fight off the enemy, eat (bread of life), drink, (living water), and survive.
We basically cut off our nose to spite our face when we try to go this life alone. In order to bear spiritual fruit we need to be in communion with Jesus every day. What small steps can we take today to invite Jesus into every part of our lives? I am glad you asked…
Here are a few small things you can implement into your daily routine:
- Spend 10 minutes in quiet space (thinking and listening)
- Ask God what He wants for you
- Prayer time
- Read Bible
- Start a Bible plan on your phone (I use the YouVersion)
- Invest in a good study Bible (I use the NLT study Bible)
- Pick up the Bible and open at random asking the Holy Spirit to guide you where to read
- Journal anything that sticks out to you
- Spend time in nature with God
It does not need to be all at once – you can start small and add things as you go so you do not get overwhelmed.
Listen to his instructions and store them in your heart. (Job 22:22 NLT)
If you need wisdom, ask our generous God, and he will give it to you. (James 1:5 NLT)
If you remain in me and I in you, you will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. (John 15:5 NLT)